Go Back   dmxdimension forums > Dell Stuff > Dell Inspiron, Dell Studio and Dell XPS Laptops

Dell Inspiron, Dell Studio and Dell XPS Laptops Got any questions, need any advice or just want to chat about Dell Inspiron, Studio and XPS laptops? This is the forum for you!

Old 18-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
lynx

lynx is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on choices for Inspiron 17 or 17R

Hi, I am a bit confused about the main differences between the 17 & 17R.

Also, in screen choice:
WLED High Definition +(1600x900)
WLED High Definition +(1600x900) TFT
WLED High Definition +(1600x900) TFT with TRUELIFE (on Inspiron 17R)

What does the above mean? Sorry, pretty new to this stuff!

Did I read somewhere that 17R has wireless capability to connect to TV through wireless HDMI?

Any advice welcomed, please. Thanks!!
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Paul
Administrator

Paul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul

Hi, the Inspiron 17R is basically the newest Inspiron 17 model from Dell. It features a new design and uses the latest Intel processors.

The screen options you list are all the same screen. TRUELIFE is a proprietary Dell Technology which gives their screens a high-gloss, sharp contrast finish, which is well-suited for watching videos and gaming.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
lynx

Default further advice please!

Thanks for the reply. I think I am settled on buying 17R, i5, 500 GB HD, 1GB video card. The offers on your deals page give me 2 choices, N00N7018, & N00N7040,same price, but the second one listed has Blu-ray drive. I assume this has the ability of DVD writer, plus Blu Ray if I need it? When I select the link for more info, the computer details do not mention Blu-ray drive, only 'DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)'. If they are the same price, is it worth opting for the blu-ray drive, if it is, infact, offered on that E value code. Finally is it worth waiting for any offers to come up, or is it very hard to predict when deals will be annonced? Thanks for very informative info on your site!, and I hope these are not silly questions!
Old 28-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Paul
Administrator

Paul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul

Hi,

It looks like I made a mistake with the spec for N00N7040, sorry about that. The two evalue codes you mention do appear to be identical and infact do not allow you to change the spec on the order page. So unfortunately with the two models you mention you would not be able to upgrade to the blu-ray optical drive.

The blu-ray drives offered in the higher priced Inspiron 17 offer read and write for cd and dvd plus read function for blu-ray discs (you cannot burn blu-ray disks with these drives).

Generally the deals change, for better or worse, on a Thursday morning. So it is always a bit of a gamble if you are waiting for a better deal.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
lynx

Default thanks

Thank you for all the great advice on the site & posts....